Here’s a creamy chicken sausage and peppers recipe for pasta that’s a family favorite.
When you make this combo of chicken, sausage, peppers and onions you also get a lot of cheesy tomato sauce that’s delicious with pasta.
This recipe makes a generous amount of sauce. So if serving chicken sausage and peppers over rice is your preference, go for it. You’ll have plenty of smooth cheese, savory herbs with just the right tang of tomato to smother your rice.
You can use leftover white sauce or cheese sauce. But if you don’t have some handy (who does?!) you can quickly make this white sauce adapted from Joanna Cismaru’s yummy recipe for ham in a cheese sauce. Here’s a quick simplified version of the white sauce recipe below.
I’m not kidding about the family favorite part. I hope you hear something like I did on serving this chicken sausage and peppers the other night: “Mmm, Mom this is so good.”
PS: For the white sauce: find the recipe here.
|Prep Time||30 Minutes|
|Cook Time||45 Minutes|
- 1.5 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp lemon juice from 1/4 of a lemon
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage links Such as Roma
- 3 cups white sauce or cheese sauce Recipe included in notes. Or use your favorite prepared white sauce
- 1 24oz jar favorite marinara sauce
- 1 cup yellow onion Chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper Chopped
- 1 Green bell pepper Chopped
- 1/2 Yellow or orange bell pepper Chopped (optional)
- 1 Jalapeño Chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic 1-2 cloves, depending on size
- For the chicken: Slice chicken breasts to make them half as thick from front to back. You will have 4 thiner cutlets. Lay them flat on a work surface.
- Mix salt and garlic powder together in a small bowl. Coarsely chop fresh thyme leaves and rosemary.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with garlic and salt, then fresh herbs.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and cook chicken, about 6 minutes per side on medium heat. Before turning squeeze fresh lemon juice over chicken breasts.
- Remove chicken from heat and place on a platter to cool. Slice through the thickest part of one breast to check for doneness. Ensure the meat has just lost its pink color and take care not to overcook.
- Slice sausage links into disks and saute in the pan that just held the chicken. If possible scrape up brown bits as the sausage releases it fat and juices.
- When sausage is browned and cooked through, remove it to the side with the chicken. More brown bits may have collected in the pan.
- Add chopped vegetables to the pan that just held the sausage. Add another tablespoon olive oil if needed. Add vegetables. Cook slowly over medium heat and scrape up any pan juices as the vegetables release their liquid. Cook until vegetables just begin to soften, 5-6 minutes
- Chop chicken breasts into bite size cubes. In a stew pot 4 quart pot combine chicken, white sauce, vegetables and white sauce. Add freshly minced garlic. Heat gently until just simmering. Serve over hot pasta.
- In a stew pot (a 4 quart sauce pan with lid) combine chicken, white sauce, vegetables and white sauce. Add minced garlic. Cover and heat gently until just simmering, stirring occasionally. Serving suggestion: Serve over hot pasta and with freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.